Skip to content
- 2-3 lbs. fresh asparagus
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 4 tblsp. unsalted butter
- 1 cup chopped green onion (white part only)
- 1 cup minced shallots (about 4-5)
- 2 tblsp. minced garlic
- ¼ tsp. ground white pepper
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- Fresh grated parmesan for garnish
- Trim top of asparagus spears, about an inch or so and reserve. Cut the tough, woody ends of asparagus spears and reserve. With the remaining middle of the stalks, cut into 1 inch pieces.
- In stock pot bring the stock to a boil.
- Add the woody stems and let simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove stems from stock and discard.
- Meanwhile, in a sauce pan, melt butter.
- Add shallots and onion cook until tender about 5 minutes, add garlic and white pepper, and stir to combine and add chopped stalks and cook for about 5 minutes until softened.
- Return stock to boil and blanch tips of asparagus for 1-2 minutes, remove with slotted spoon and place tips in ice bath to stop cooking.
- Then place tips on paper towels to dry.
- Add onion, shallot, garlic and asparagus mixture to stock and simmer until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Remove pot from heat and using immersion blender, or regular blender puree the soup until smooth.
- Add cream and asparagus tips and stir until combined.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with freshly grated parmesan cheese.