Skip to content
- 1lb. bag frozen, cleaned smelts
- 2 eggs beaten with 1/8 cup water
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup corn meal
- 1 tblsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. Cajun Seasoning (optional)
- ½ tsp. salt
- Fresh ground pepper (about ½ tsp.)
- Canola or Peanut Oil for frying
- 1 gallon size storage bag
- ½ cup fresh chopped parsley (for garnish)
- Lemon wedges
- Place frozen smelts in colander and run under cold water until thawed. With fork or your fingers spread open smelt and remove spine beginning with thicker part and pull out.
- Beat eggs with water until fluffy.
- Put flour, corn meal, garlic powder, Cajun seasoning, salt and pepper in storage bag and shake to mix thoroughly.
- Take cleaned smelts, about a dozen at a time, place in egg wash and then add to storage bag with dry ingredients, shake until covered and remove.
- Heat oil in deep skillet until 160-175.
- Place smelts in skillet, skin side down fry to 2 minutes and turn over. Fry for another minute or 2, remove to platter lined with paper towels.
- Sprinkle with salt, parsley and squeeze lemon on top. Enjoy!