Skip to content
- ¼ cup of butter
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 3 carrots, diced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tblsp. all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 cups milk
- 2 lbs. potatoes (6 medium) peeled and diced
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 tsp. white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. white pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chopped fresh parsley for garnish and/or shredded sharp cheddar
- In large pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion, celery and carrots, cook until softened about 10 minutes and stir frequently.
- Add garlic and stir to combine, stir in flour 1 tablespoon at a time to coat vegetables before next addition.
- Begin adding stock a cup at a time stirring to make sure no lumps form before adding more stock.
- Add milk, potatoes, thyme and bay leaves. Increase heat to high, bring to a boil for a few minutes.
- Lower to simmer for 30 minutes, stir frequently until soup has thickened and potatoes are tender.
- Turn off heat, remove bay leaves, stir in vinegar, white pepper and salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with parsley and/or shredded cheese.