Skip to content
- 7 russet potatoes, peeled and quartered (Yukon gold also work well)
- 1 stick of butter-divided use
- 3 small onions chopped
- 3 cups shredded green cabbage
- 1 tsp. fresh grated nutmeg
- 1/3 cup half and half
- Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- Place potatoes in large pot and cover with water by one inch.
- Bring to a boil, cooking potatoes until fork tender about 12 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt 3 tblsp. butter in large skillet.
- Add onions; cook until softened about 5 minutes.
- Add cabbage to skillet and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste then add fresh nutmeg.
- Stir until combined.
- Remove from heat.
- Drain potatoes and return to pot.
- Add 3 tblsp. butter and mash together.
- Add half and half and mash further until fluffy.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Fold in cooked onion and cabbage to potatoes.
- Place in serving bowl and top with remaining 2 tblsp. of butter.
- Serve immediately.